Rydia is now 6 weeks old and I don’t think I can get much lower than this. Yes, I knew that sleep deprivation was part of the deal, but is it supposed to be this bad?
I’ve always suffered from insomnia, so most of my nights I’m up until 3-4 am, then I tend to take a short nap in the afternoon. If I’m lucky, I will get an 8-hour stretch of sleep. And I never sleep in past 10am. Well, on top of insomnia, I haven’t seen more than 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Rydia eats every 3 hours, so that’s about how long I have. She also tends to not sleep until 6am some nights, which means that I’m up for 12-ish hours.
Now because of the lack of sleep, my body itself is just breaking down.
- I lost 4 pounds in a month1.
- I’m getting more migraines.
- I broke into hives a few nights ago and they just went away fully today2.
- TMI, but the dreaded period has come back. A little sooner than it should have. Which makes everything 10 times worse. Oh and by the way, menstrual cramps suck ass; I’ve never had to say that before.
- I’m exceedingly bitchy. Okay, maybe “bitchy” isn’t the right term, but if you don’t get enough sleep, wouldn’t you be on edge?3
And yet, I look at my little girl and can’t help but to giggle. Especially since she, herself, gives big old smiles. And that enough makes it all not matter.