Happy new year, folks! How are your goals and resolutions working for you?!
It has been awhile since my last entry, and I wish I had a nice story about how it was because I was busy traveling the world and seeing new things and making new things, but I don’t. I did ponder over what to write and would say “this is the day I’m actually going to do something”, but I didn’t.
So what has been going on? Let’s start from where I left off, which was around September. I had a lot going on, between another move and a new job. It was a whirlwind of sorts and it didn’t really settle down until the holidays, only to pick up again. The holidays are generally a busy time for all of us, and it is perfectly fine to clear the plate (figuratively and literally) to make room for family time. Family is extremely important to me, which is why I have such a hard time with my schedule for my outside job; I get to see my daughter for a half hour every day due to her going to school and then getting home when she’s asleep. It is frustrating, but as this site is generating zero income at the moment, I have to make do. What I have done, however, is think of some goals. I don’t do resolutions (that word is almost setting myself up for failure, so yeah), but I set some goals so that I can keep my eyes on the prize, so to speak. Granted, this post is 4 months late, but better late than to just drop off the face of the earth, right?
I try to keep these goals attainable, and to not burn myself out again, I’m not setting a timeframe other than “by the end of 2017”. If it happens much sooner, great! If by December 2017 something is still not done, that’s okay too. I never made any actual goals for 2016; I just winged it and hoped for the best. The result? Lots of information, but generally a huge mess. I knew what to do, I knew what I wanted to do, but burned myself out no less than 3 times trying to do it. After hours and hours of thinking of what to say and what I’m going to do, this is it. For real this time.
On the site front
- New theme. Despite burnout, I actually revamped my logo again. Sorta. It is the same thing, just in a slightly different style and I like how it came out. But I want the entire theme itself to be nicer. So that’s one thing that I’m gonna work on in the future.
- Overhauling pages (again…sorta) I did this a while back, but there are a few things that I never got around to. For example, my about me page. That thing is so old that cobwebs are flying around on it. It has been in the works for since last March. Yeah, so it’s high time I suppose.
- Finding me. F-bombs aside, I need to find my motivation to write again, and that means that I need to find me again.
On the real life front
- Actually take steps to get out of retail. I’m not cut out for it. I really shouldn’t have tried it again, but when your passion isn’t making you any money, you need to make money somehow, and legally. These past few months have been one emotional rollercoaster, and one of my goals for this year is to make it a little more comfortable. Like I said, I know what I want, but I need to make moves towards it before my health gets to the point where it won’t do me any good.
- Get health answers. This one is probably not gonna happen this year. It might not happen next year. But if I can get some answers, I can make goals to, once again, make things more comfortable. Luckily, this time around, I have a doctor willing to help and listen.
- Write more. ‘Nuff said.
On the making things front
- FINALLY get my actual business site up. I’m going a slightly different approach with it, but I need this. I have a burning passion and creating is that passion. I need to feed that sumbitch. This goes hand-in-hand with the taking steps to get out of retail.
- Write more> ‘Nuff said.
- Set up a “creative fund”. One of the things that I remember as a child was my mom being on disability for nearly a year after a bus accident. To occupy her time and stave off depression from not being able to work for that long, she started making decorative wreaths for all seasons. As I was too young at the time to help (although she did eventually let me make a small hat magnet), I was only able to watch as she made these things. She never made them for any profit, and I never understood why, but I’ve been thinking about it for the past year: why not make some crafts at home? Not necessarily for profit (although I’d be open to it eventually). Obviously this stuff does cost money, so I want to put aside a fund so that every few months or so I can dip into it and get some crafting materials.
- Get somewhere with Marzipan. So what exactly is Marzipan? It was the novel that I was attempting to write for NaNoWriMo. I had to bow out due to November being crazy (I wish NaNo was in the summer!!), but I do have the desire to work on it. And that’s what I should do. I have intentions of it being a couple of books long (yes, it’s that big of a project).
Biggest goal of all goals…DON’T FREAKING BURN OUT.
This list isn’t exhaustive. This may grow as the year progresses. But this is a start, and focusing on what I love to do is what I want to do. Besides, if it doesn’t bring you joy, it’s not really worth doing, right?
I know I haven’t been around for a while. But this is my love and unless something really extreme happens to me, I ain’t going anywhere. I am going to make this work. I need to for my sanity.